Well, here begins my second mod of a G5 case. I got a very sweet deal - all the inner components and an A-/B+ outside grade for just 60 EUR from a local seller. This time i wanted to accomplish two main things with my mod:



1. The inner layout is as beautiful as the out one, so why not maintain it? And that's exactly what I want to do, leaving as many original items as possible.



2. Budget components. I wanted to profit from the old Q8200 and Q6600 processors that I already have and keep the LGA775 architecture for 2 more years as a spare PC (mainly built for folding/crunching) … apart from the motherboard my goal is to use components that could be also be used in a future rig.



Posted Image



Total cost: 301EUR (~ 390USD$)



But let's focus on the first point which has the real juice. To maintain the inner layout I knew I had several things to do. Since I had spare fans out from an old neighbor G5 that was gonna be thrown I decided to start rewiring the original fans following Badouin's diagrams that were so helpful.



Here are some pics of the process, including the original CPU connection:



Posted Image



Posted Image



Posted Image



Next step was to rehouse the G5 PSU. I don't have pictures of the disassembling since i was a lil bit nervous (last time messing with a PSU i got zapped) … but once the original PSU was safely placed into a shoe box, i took pictures of how i placed the SFX PSU into the original cage:



Posted Image



Posted Image



With that thing covered i could move on to the disassembling of the original inner components. I managed to route the SATA cables to their original spot as well as adapting the top fans that are gonna be regulated with the fan controller shown in the first picture (as well as all the original ones)



Posted Image



Then i tested to see if the MB was fitting properly, which it did, also providing room under it for cable management.



Posted Image



After all of this, we arrive till today. I JB welded the original stand-offs out of a ghetto-template that i did with a DIN-A4 sheet, and right now they're still curing for the first 2 hours with some books on the top to apply the initial pressure.



Posted Image



Posted Image



Next steps:



- Test if the mo-bo is properly fixed and apply more JB weld to ensure the joints are solid

- Do a minimal cut on the back to allow access to USB and audio connections.

- Measure the original PCI divider to cut a small hole to avoid touching RAM and Mo-Bo heatsinks (then i'll be able to place CPU+GFX fans as well as the original G5 CPU cover)

- Build a cage for the fan controller to securely fix it using the original CD/DVD spot (regulators will be accessible opening the front-sliding door)



Still a lot of hard work to do … so stay tuned, hope you like it as much as i enjoyed doing it.



Cheers to everybody!! :thumbsup_anim:



source